Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday, 06/19/09: Following are my recent trekking adventures. Just downloaded pics from the camera. Immediately below is pic of my friend, W, triking around the lobby of a university residential hall, of which she is the Director. Fortunately, no students were on campus at the time so the secret is safe. I don't believe she will ever be satisfied w/ riding a traditional bike again.

See the glee...... All you want to do when on this trike is SMILE (you have to be careful w/ the wanton smiling when triking outside: bugs. 'nuff said).

-------------
My daughter is living w/ me this summer. She graduated from college in May and is looking for employment, preferably in CO in the probation officer field. Recently, she said she "just wants to shoot something." I contacted a friend whose son is a local expert on gunnery. We arranged to enjoy a dinner of home-made lasagna and then "shoot something." T, the son, arranged a myriad of targets just off their back deck. Oh, my, this was incredible! I think my daughter's blood has changed.

She's aiming at a target (water filled 2 ltr bottle) that was on the ground (picture above w/ the rifle). And she hit it! Dead on -- the water gurgled out until it could gurgle no more.

Notice the ear protection. KA-BOOM! Just pumping this gun should scare the be-jesus outta anyone. That's what she wants should anyone attempt to enter her dwelling place w/o an invitation. I forgot to ask T whether you put your ear protection on b/f cranking this thing when someone's breaking through your door: "Excuse me, intruder, I want to shoot you, but first I have to protect my ears from the thunder of this rifle. Please stop right there and at least let's level the playing field.

Look at the determination on her face. I think after trying a couple styles of handguns she preferred a longer gun. I know there's a name for that; T told me; a rifle or shotgun. Not recalling the difference if there is one. I'm sure my daughter remembers. She's a good shooter w/ a handgun, but likes the sighting set-up on the longer barrel gun.

Here's an example of one of the targets. She decimated those orange disks. There were also paper targets and 2 ltr bottles filled w/ H2O. Of course, she will take classes should she decide to purchase a self-defense gun. At least now she knows what they feel like to touch and use. T is an excellent and patient instructor. He handled all my quirky questions w/ professionalism and sensitivity.

Thanks, T, for sharing your enthusiasm for responsible weapon management. We learned a LOT (Sorry I don't recall whether there's a difference b/t a rifle and shotgun. This is not a result of your teaching; it's a result of me..... read below re: TBI; add to that peri-menopause & that guns don't really intrigue me the way they do other people).
--------------
I had 4 dr appts and 3 days of PT this week. I also volunteered at a homeless event. Very wonderful ministry helping homeless people w/ free foot care provided by RNs, free hair cuts provided by cos students, free dinner, and free listeners (that was my role). I think next week looks like a boring week compared to the past 2 wks. I'm looking forward to staying in bed for a long, long time tomorrow. I may even bring my Rx and water to my bedroom tonight so I don't even have to get out of bed tomorrow. Sounds like a good idea, especially if it's still raining.
Tonight I ate salmon w/ mango salsa. The flavors were intense and memorable. I intentionally savored nearly every tasty bite. Have you been intentional lately about tasting your food WHILE you're eating it (not the after-taste)? Usually, I eat so fast I barely remember eating. Not tonight. I thanked GOD for the ability to taste the food and enjoy the contrast of flavors: sweet, tart, salty. Delicious! The rice was near the top of the list of "best I've ever had". I think it was jasmine flavored. Add that to the salmon and mango salsa -- I was sad to finish my meal (@ Bonefish Grill). This was my treat to myself for enduring a 2 hr "mental exam".
Due to the TBI (traumatic brain injury) from the accident I had to go through a series of mental tests to see if my brain is functional. I kept telling the psychologist, "I'm a Counselor, not a mathematician." I guess numbers are important. They hurt my brain. Make me very tired. I know I would have done better if I'd had paper, pencil, calculator, no time limit, and I could've called my younger son as a "help line". I know I would have done better. Oh well, it is what it is. I recall that Albert Einstein was an answer to one of the questions. And there were history questions... when he began one of those, I raised my hands and told him to not bother b/c I had no idea. He had to look up some things I told him b/c my answers were not in his keyed responses, but my responses were correct, also. I do not wish that experience on anyone. I told my daugher about it and she asked if I'will receive a sign that says, "I'm mental". I sure hope so. Then I'll have an excuse to ask people to just be nice to me b/c I know not what I say or do.
Remember to slow down and taste your food. Thank GOD for it as you eat it.
Blessings Abound!
~A~

1 comment:

  1. "I'm mental"......I think I would qualify for that some days! Angie

    ReplyDelete