Sunday, June 21, 2009

06/21/09: 5.5 miles: HOT trike

Welcome to a sunny, warm day!
Today's triking venture was odiferous - whew! Wonderful and not so wonderful scents. For a while I wondered if I was downdraft of my own scent. Perhaps my olfactory glands were in over-drive. Or b/c of the low clouds all the aromas just hung in the air close to the ground, which is where I was positioned.


This is the Welcome sign to my house. It brightens my day every time I see it.

Following are pics of the flowers on the sides of my driveway. The colors are so vibrant I wanted to share them w/ you. I'm sending a bounty of flowers to you that will not die (in these pictures, that is). My daughter says that the man who captures her heart will not send her flowers b/c they die; that man will send her pizza!

I don't know whether you can see the bees swarming around these bushes, but there must have been 50 or so of them. I'm glad I didn't smell like a spiraea. The bees are busy making the flowers beautiful.

The day lillies burst forth just the other day. They look so happy to be awake. I'm always amazed that they return every year. A gardener I am not. GOD takes care of my foliage.


Purple coneflower - makes echinacea. Today's the 1st day I noticed the bloom. We've had lots of rain lately; my flowers are very happy!


I do not recall the name of this flower or the next, which are the same, just different shades. Delphinia. That's it. I love this shade of blue! I need to stake this upright - they literally grew over the last couple days.

And here's another brand of Delphinia - purple.


This summer my strawberries are for the birds and animals. I have not picked any. Not sure why exactly. I guess I just want to share this year.
The next pics are from the trail scenes today:

Old man and young boy fishing in the river. They seemed to be having a good time.


Four canoes swiftly manueuvered down the river. Their colors were a beautiful contrast to the dark water and greens all around. The river had a strong scent today - not very pleasant.
Also, I think every goose in MI flew over a portion of the trail I was on and deposited their lunch or breakfast left-overs right on the pavement.


These flowers are alongside one portion of the trail. These pictures do not capture the artistry of these colors. I'm really sad I cannot capture the 3-D reality of this stretch of the trail. Whoever thought to do this is genius!







Another portion of the trail that I love is the foot bridge. If you've been following my triking blog you'll recognize that I mention the foot bridge in most trikes. I think one of the reasons I enjoy it so much is that I was the 1st car in line when traffic was stopped as a huge crane began placing the bridge into place. I was on one end of the road bridge and was mesmerized by the amount of precise engineering that made a talked about dream become a reality. Believe me, I rushed home from wherever I was going to put on my running shoes. I'm guessing I may have been one of the 1st people to run across the foot bridge. Today as I approached the foot bridge I noticed a powerful scent. At the other end I could see where someone had stopped the water sealing project for the day. (I don't know how to rearrange pics so the foot bridge pic follows the road bridge picture. Sorry. Finally, sort of, figured out how to download the pictures backwards. What a mental challenge that is. I welcome any tips on how to make this process easier.)

This next picture is a view of the road bridge through the rails of the foot bridge.

And here's the foot bridge.



Perhaps you've heard about our town's woes re: "illegal" reproduction of The Little Mermaid. Here's our infamous icon. I hope the town works out a deal to keep her by the river. She's been stolen and vandalized a number of times, always to return to her perch by the river.


See the stop sign. That's about 1/2 way up the last little hill from the trail to my driveway, which is the garage you see across the road behind the white van. I can coast out of my garage all the way to the trail.



And here I return to "home sweet home".


Happy Father's Day, Dad!
Blessings Abound!
~A~

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures; especially the flowers! Hope all is as well as possible. Angie

    ReplyDelete