Friday, May 15, 2009

Thurs, 05/14/09 (only) 2 miles

It took every ounce of internal motivation I could muster to get out & trike. Due to procrastination I only had time to travel 2 miles. And due to more procrastination (& forgetfulness) I'm updating this blog on Fri eve.

Now, I'm remembering that I triked b/f going to PT on Th. I found out that only women work at this office on Th afternoons. For some reason, all the male therapists and aides do not work Th afternoons. Kind of makes me re-think going to PT on MWF. My main PT is a female and triathlete (competitive triathlete, that is). She only works MW and spends the other days with her 2 young sons (& husband). My secondary PT, who thinks he is my chief PT, is a male; I see him on Fridays. He spends Th afternoons w/ his wife and 4 young children. He makes pizza every Fri eve for their family dinner.

Last week I met a woman, who is a patient and has survived more than many people I know (in my career, I've heard stories of many losses). This lady is in for rehab after knee replacement. That sounds funny, doesn't it? We do ask each other, "What are you in for?" I imagine that's what people in prison ask each other, too. What if wait staff asked that question after seating us, "What are you in for?" Funny question, to me. Her young adult son was killed in an auto accident by a drunk driver; her husband died from cancer. She had breast cancer in one breast. Had a lumpectomy. Went back to dr for follow-up; cancer was discovered in her other breast, which was completely unrelated to the previous cancer. She opted for double radical mastectomy. Then reconstructive surgery. She said they pulled the fat up from her stomach to make new breasts. I commented that this was a new way to get rid of the tummy bulge. We laughed and laughed. She was there on Th, gosh, that was just yesterday. WOW, seems like days ago (Yep, I am tired). Yesterday, as Linda was leaving (I hadn't even noticed that she was there; I guess she was leaving soon after I arrived), she stopped by my table and called me by name (pronoucing it correctly). I felt so loved. Again, we found something to laugh about and hug. What a beautiful person she is! She knows how to love well despite losing the loves of her life.

I'm watching "Farrah's Story" as I type. Her story is painful & exhilerating to watch. I have little memory of being in the hospital. However, seeing scenes from Farrah's journey elicits some subconscious memory in my being. I'm experiencing flashbacks of shiny floors and inumerable needles. Her son believed her to be well and on the mend b/c she looked so good. People seem to only see what their eyes show them (and their hearts can contain, I guess). They cannot see the "cancer cells" on the inside, so they only see the outside. Like faith, huh? What's the purpose of faith if it is based on what we see?

I'm closing here while I can still see the screen (tears are gonna fly) - hoping to get in at least one triking session this wkend (weather depending).
Blessings Abound!
~A~

No comments:

Post a Comment