Thursday, April 2, 2009

Now, I am a triker (picture to be obtained in the near future). Formerly, I was a runner (picture to be unburied in the near future). Two marathons under my belt (er, shoe soles), a plethora of 5Ks, and quite a few other road races in between. I had just started training for my 3rd marathon (OBX) on Jan 19, 08. My ultimate goal was to participate in a charity marathon in HAWAII for my 50th b'day.

I ran to eat. So, in a sense, running was my life :-) In many senses, running was my life - it managed stress, provided exercise, aided time management, enhanced self confidence, and most importantly of all, connected me with GOD through nature, sanctuary, and gratitude. I felt invincible while running. Even when I didn't want to get out there or get out of bed, I knew how much better I'd feel once the run was completed. Running motivated me to face all challenges. The marathoner's creed, "There will be days when I don't know if I can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing I have.", encouraged me to keep moving forward.


January 22, 2008. I do not remember whether I ran that day or the day before that or the day before that. I do remember running the 5K Portland Winter Run (MI) on Jan 19th. Generally, I ran daily 5-6 days each week for no less than 30 mins and upward to several hours (while marathon training). My favorite length of run was 1 - 1 1/2 hours at least twice a week.


I began practicing to be a triker on 12/30/08. I have a new trike (THANK YOU CITIZEN'S AUTO INSURANCE) made by www.terratrike.com . For one week I rode my trike (yellow zoomer) inside my house using a "trainer". Then I ventured outside one sunny, wintery day and felt the rush of wind over my face and around my body again. Refreshing!!! Life-giving!!! My blood was pulsing through my veins again. Winter returned, along w/awful depression (not that depression is ever less than awful), so I merely looked at my trike, often, as I hobbled through my family room.


On Sat, 03/28/09, spring sprung and I was out zooming the trails in town. For ONE solid HOUR (you can coast while triking - this is quite cool as it is similar to a runner's high). What a glorious experience. I triked my favorite running course: across the street to the trail, across the foot bridge, around to go under the bridge, then across another foot bridge, to the dash across 91, through the woods, around the lake, up hell hill, by the elementary school, zooming across 57, down Luray hill, and home to park in my empty garage (well, okay, there is a lot of college kids' stuff in there).


Today, 04/02/09, I believe the sun shone just for me, the very few minutes it graced us as a winter storm is heading this way. Using much self-talk to motivate myself to carpe diem, I triked (troked??) nearly the same course outlined above, but with a couple detours to complete errands to the post office and bank. It is wonderful to be able to manage these, seemingly simple, tasks by myself. So many people have generously provided transportation & assistance for me these past 15 months. Today, I proudly proclaim, "I AM A TRIKER". It seems probable that I'll never be able to run again. More about that later. For today, I am a triker.


My goal is to use this blog as an accountability tool to keep on triking. To log my triking, similar to a "running log". To keep this process fascinating for me to review, I'll add personal commentary about my journey to becoming a triker, hence, triking times. Based on the sound of "triking times", there is similarity to "trying times". They may share similar meanings, as well. We'll see...


If you choose to join me in this journey, I look forward to hearing from you (unless you're correcting my grammar). Bear with me as I learn about blogging.

Blessings abound!!

~A~

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angela,

    Great blog. Yes, I too am new at it. Can you believe I even use twitter? Viv is on facebook. Us oldtimers are learning to be digital!!

    John Nocera

    ReplyDelete