Friday, May 7, 2010

05.05.10 Wed @ VAB w/ R: 14 strenuous miles!
Very warm day. Very.

I triked 2 miles of this trail a few wks ago. Today, R & I tr(b)iked 14 miles: out & back (7 miles one-way). Took ~ 2 hrs.

The trail started out paved. Very nice - had to curtsey "stop" as we rode through a neighborhood. Then, the trail went through an "interpretive" area re: the Chesapeake Indians, including fitness work-out stations for children (& adults). Then the trail turned into sand, covered w/ pine needles. This provided for quick thinking & maneuvering reflexes not to end up in sand pits. This was fun & challenging.


This section (below) was very weird, compared w/ the rest of the trail. It's like death visited this area. We saw a huge bird nest atop one of the dead trees. Wondered if it was an eagle's nest. it was huge. (Friend, R)
Next came the difficult section of the trail. Mostly sand. I kept asking if the large body of water to our left was the ocean. It was a lot of water w/ a (small) beach. I'm thinking it was likely some portion of the Chesapeake Bay.

I had to dismount my trike a few times and pull it through sand pits. No traction whatsover!

This sign came as a surprise. I thought "poop" became manure, useful for fertilizing. (Sorry I forgot to flip it upright -- compiling this trike memory @ 1 am, two days after the outing .......... I'm pooped!)
Perhaps I will get one more NC trike outing before heading to MI. Thought about triking on the return trip to MI, but I have to remove the "seat" from the trike while carrying it on the hitch rack. Leaving it on creates drag, thereby decreasing fuel efficiency, so says the terratrike creators. It takes a bit of time to thread on and remove again. I'll wait and see if I want to put that much effort into triking in another state..... Also depends upon weather along the way.
Blessings Abound!
~A~




No comments:

Post a Comment