Wednesday, August 26, 2009

08/26/09: 12 miles in 75 mins in the blazing sun. At the 10 mile point, I was at 60 minutes. Not too bad for triking in 90 + degreed sunshine! These pictures are in reverse order. You can see the sweated upon seat (coccyx) cushion after completing these 12 miles. I never sweated this much, on my trike, when in MI. But, to be fair, I never rode my trike in weather much over 80 degrees. I want to build my leg muscles; my R leg seems to be getting lazy on me; could be b/c my L leg is getting much stronger. I'll mention this at PT this Fri.



While out triking, I saw these friendly folks along the way. They are actually friends o'mine. I called B (the farmer woman) as I turned onto their street to tell her to come out front as I whizzed by. Her husband was home at the moment so I was able to greet them both, ever so briefly. She has shared many garden items w/ me since my arrival here. I hope to return to her gigantic garden this wkend. Incredible peas!


For the most part, drivers are very kind to me while I'm triking. As with running, there are jerks. When running, those who seemed to veer toward me fit into categories: 1) old. really old. Usually male. Like the people who started driving when vehicles were invented & the roads were first paved; they seem to take ownership of the road; 2) overweight. really overweight. Like their vehicles tilt to the driver's side; 3) eating ice cream. Can't tell you how many times people eating ice cream weren't paying attn to their driving. Sometimes 2 & 3 were the same person; 4) road ragers. red necks. bonafide jerks. These people are the same ones who are rude to grocery cashiers. Antisocial. Out looking to make someone else join their misery.


So far, while triking, I cannot fit anyone into such distinct categories. Well, except for old women. I chalk it up to they are just jealous. Old men gaze w/ intrigue. Younger men are fascinated w/ the design. Kids are excited about the "cool" factor. Women are jealous. That sums it up, I think. I know I am privileged to own this trike. Aside from the effects on my body from this accident, I would have never purchased this kind of exercise. I loved running. Still do; just can't do it now. I watch runners now and I am jealous. Sweat dripping from every pore on their bodies. That feels good. When done running. I remember the sense of fat melting out of my body. That may be part of what gives sweat such a strong odor. Imagine burning fat in a frying pan. It begins to emit a pungent odor when it begins burning. Same w/ running. That would be an interesting research project, if it hasn't already been done. Can fat cells be detected in runners' sweat? Is the fat content from runners' sweat different from lard mowers' sweat? (Re-reading the efforts of writing under the influence of my little blue pill this morning. I guess one of the effects is freudian slips. I meant to write LAWN, not lard :-) . Although I suppose mowing lawns in this kind of weather would also "mow" body "lard")


Triking does not seem to burn fat off my body, especially the way running did. I love eating! Won't stop that, but do need to increase my triking miles to accomodate my lusty appetite for F-O-O-D. The first word my youngest child learned to spell was f-o-o-d. When it was time to gather at the table to eat, I'd announce "f-o-o-d time". Funny. I can still see her, as a little girl, spelling that word. We were amazed that she caught on at such a young age.


When I go out to trike, I change the gears to maintain constant pedaling at a medium intensity. This gives for a great lower body workout. "Buns of steel", in my fantasies. Well, & then I guess my "buns" are lopsided b/c my L leg is definitely stronger than my R leg - that's got to be humorous to view when I'm walking. Hadn't thought of that before. One solid, sleek bun and one droopy bun :-) All my friends must be really kind to my face b/c no one has indicated that my backside is funky. Triking does not provide much upper body workout or aerobic workout. Perhaps my L arm gets a bit of a workout when I hold it up & out to signal turns!


I have a chiropractic appointment in the morning. Several local chiros would not take me as a patient b/c 1) too much paperwork since auto is involved, 2) been too long since date of accident, & 3) out of state auto insurance company and the locals feared not getting reimbursed for care provided. Well, I finally found one. He uses same techniques as my MI dr and shares many similarities in family size/arrangement. Plus this NC dr is from Canada & attended college in Chicago so we can talk about MI together. He's traveled b/t the two C's often. He understands the winters. That's partly why he's in NC & not up north. I look forward to getting to know him. He said he's "tentative" w/ adjusting me, pressure-wise, never worked on anyone w/ as many fractures. But, he will increase his confidence slowly. He also was IMPRESSED by the speed of my MI doctors getting info to him. I merely made calls and voila, papers zoomed to him. He said I must have "clout" w/ those drs for them to respond so quickly. I smiled. Those drs saved my life. Kept saving my life. Continue saving my life by speedily getting papers/charts to the right places for the next treatment. They've been very, very good and reliable to me. I feel like I owe them something (in addition to continued improvement) that I can never repay. Good thing they bill insurances, I guess. Reminds me of Jesus. What a price HE paid so that I can have eternal life. I feel like I owe HIM something, too. I pay HIM forward. I look for anonymous ways to share love, helpfulness, compassion to others. There are many, many good people all around us. People want to do good. And they do. I have to accept the best they can offer when they do good to me. Not judge their motives or efforts. That's b/t them and their Maker. I merely have to accept the goodness they offer. Squeezing into my space on the road is not goodness!
Okay, the little blue pill is kicking in; lines are blurring as I type. Good night!
Blessings Abound!
~A~

No comments:

Post a Comment