Monday, August 24, 2009

08/24/09: 12 miles in 65 mins; avg 11.07 mph

I triked chiefly through residential areas this eve. I went alone. Enjoyed the architecture of the dwelling places.



On the previous day. I returned (in my element) from the beach and here's what I saw at one point.



If you can read backwards, this RED flag says, "No Smoking" I saved this last night b/c something didn't seem right about the previous sentence, but my brain under the influence of Lunesta could not figure out what was wrong about those words. The flag says, "NO SWIMMING". I guess the 60+ surfers out in the waves (which you cannot clearly see) were not technically "swimming". I remember, while in college here, as a storm was brewing off shore, that a group of my friends went to the ocean to catch the large waves (NOT ME, DAD). Well, Carl had to catch "one more" and one more and the final one. At his "last one," which turned out to be his last one, he was struck by lightning and dead in the water. That was a very difficult funeral to attend as a 20-something year old.

As I was taking my trike out of my apt last night, these 2 young women from here, were preparing to shove off from the dock to kayak in the river. Water is everywhere around here. The books & movies you've read or seen about the south eastern US accurately depict the vast amounts of waterways (Prince of Tides & Nights in Rodanthe, quickly come to mind). Everything connects to every place via waterways.



My goal this fall is to trike over the Washington Baum bridge which connects over to the island of Manteo. It is a TALL bridge. Very TALL. One attempt will make me want to conquer it again, I'm sure. The incline is way steeper and longer than the hill at the end of the lake that I conquered earlier this summer. I think I read that this bridge is over 1 mile in length, but close to 1/2 of that is downhill :-) I'll have to choose a day when the wind is not too strong, however I'll be close to the ground so I wonder if that will matter as much. Certainly less than if I was riding a bicycle.

Getting settled into routines. Hopefully, by the end of this week all my PT & dr appts will be set into a pattern. As I was arriving town people were leaving for trainings and vacations. Public school begins this week so I think everyone's into work mode now.
ADD is frustrating me. I think the ADD is increasing b/c I'm not fully settled into a routine. I'm keeping watch to see if this is something that's going to have to be medically treated for a while. I hope not! Pre-accident I was able to manage tasks to completion. I am driving myself crazy as I catch myself just getting up and walking away from something I need to finish. True to my style, I am able to camouflage this so that others aren't noticing. Perhaps I need to attend a 12-Step mtg and come out of the closet as having ADD. HA, would attendees even notice my presence? Likely they'd be so distracted themselves they wouldn't notice. Funny how we're like this, isn't it? Admit it, we all have "issues" we work over-time to keep in the closet. At least we think we are, but everyone else sees it b/f we usually do.
Time to go check my laundry. Can't just leave it until I remember. I'm setting "alarms" to remind me to get it done. Whatever works is good, right??
Blessings Abound!
~A~

2 comments:

  1. It's me, Jolene. Seeing if I can comment anonymously on here :) UPDATE: nope... so going to try doing name/ url.....

    That is so sad about Carl! Really makes you think doesn't it? I'm sorry that you lost a friend at such a young age.

    Keep checking that ADD... I know you can get a handle on it!!

    Glad that the routine is falling into place... nothing like feeling overwhelmed by disorganization.

    Have a wonderful week!!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete